Search This Blog

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sharing Saturday – Melinda Williams Bible Cover

Last week’s blog was about the Hauser Family Bible Pages. I stated that the 1850 US Census probably would be the one and only census that would have Benjamin with his parents and siblings by name. So I decided to explore and see if I could find Benjamin with his parents.

What I found was Benjamin with his younger siblings Zachariah and Harriet. I also found a possible older sister Elizabeth and his mother Malinda. However, Malinda was not married to Abram but to John Williams. This explains the Melinda Williams Bible Cover that I wasn't sure which bible it went with.
I don’t know why Abram’s death date is not written in this bible. However, I did find an Abraham Hauser on findagrave.com who was born 1798 and died 12 July 1848 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. 

Also, John’s birth date is not listed. Plus there is no marriage date for either of Melinda’s marriages. I did find a marriage index record for Malinda Hauser and John Williams marriage in Bartholomew County, Indiana for 10 Nov 1849.


So once again I have shown how just two simple family bible pages can lead your research in new directions. So the next time you are at an Estate Sale or garage sale, look for family bibles that people are discarding. Even if they are not for your family, think about saving them. You could scan the pages and create a simple little tree on Ancestry.com, post them in a blog or donate them to a local genealogical society. Think about what genealogical society you want to donate them to. Perhaps one where the family in the bible is from might be better than the society where you purchase the bible, especially if they are two different locations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment